Calligra 2.5 Beta Released

The Calligra team is proud and pleased to announce the beta release of version 2.5 of the Calligra Suite. This means that the calligra/2.5 branch has been created and there are no further features allowed until the real release approximately a month from now.

News in This Release

As expected, this release has a number of new features that were not ready in time for the alpha release. Here are some of the most important ones:

Sheets, the spreadsheet application has a new stand-alone docker for the cell editor. In Version 2.4 of Calligra Sheets, the cell editor was a standard tool docker, which meant that most people kept it in the side bar. Some users thought this was a disadvantage because the editor area was too narrow. In version 2.5 the cell editor is now contained in its own dock window which means that it can be placed above the work area as in other spreadsheets or even be torn off into its own window.

Sheets also has a new cell tool window with cell formatting controls. In version 2.4 Sheets used mostly menus and dialogs for formatting cells. In version 2.5 the most common formatting options are collected into a cell tool option window much like the text formatting controls in Words.

New Ui in Calligra Sheets 2.5

An improvement common to all the applications is a new system for connecting shapes. This is used for instance when creating diagrams for flowcharts or organizational charts. The new connectors in Calligra 2.5 are both more powerful and easier to use than those in version 2.4.

Krita, the painting application, has an improved canvas handling subsystem. This means that rotation and scaling of the canvas can now be done when any other tool is active. This should improve the interaction for artists that make much use of the canvas manipulation feature.

Kexi, the database application, now offers a full screen mode activated by the F11 key. New form elements Command Link Button, Slider, Progress Bar and Date Picker widgets have been added to Forms.

New form widgets in Kexi 2.5

Try It Out

The source code of the snapshot is available for download: calligra-2.4.91.tar.bz2. Alternatively, you can download binaries for many Linux distributions and windows.

About the Calligra Suite

The Calligra Suite is part of the applications from the KDE community. See more information at the website http://www.calligra.org/.

This entry was posted in Announcements, Calligra Unstable, News. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Calligra 2.5 Beta Released

1. STiAT says:

Great :-).

I wonder if anybody of the calligra guys could post what’s going on in words, which is an essential part as well, and I doubt that the guys working on it just disappeared :).

• boemann says:

No, Calligra Words is still alive and kicking, but since the alpha we have been focusing on making it more stable, which doesn’t make for single headlines. You can see the complete features for Calligra Words here (the other apps don’t keep this as up to date):

• STiAT says:

Thank you for your answer! As I see the “feature” List of Words which are [done] for 2.5, it addresses something I was really waiting for, which would be direct manipulation of table column widths and row heights and the table cell borders.

Now I can look forward replacing LibreOffice with KOffice as my primary Office Suite with the next release, since it was (until now) the only real painpoint I had (well, and the header/footer thingy, which seems to be done as well).

I think I’ll need to build and test the beta in the evening :). Thanks a lot for the work on KOffice, it’s maturing :).

2. Thomas says:

Are there plannings to support shape data fields and data binding to Sheets or Kexi in Flow?

Regards,
    Thomas

• Jarosław Staniek says:

Good ideas for integration! We have many like this in our drawer. Kexi may act as a data handler in many cases. Chances are that the nearest (for 2.6?) feature from this department would be a bibliography plugin for Words – data would be (natively) accessible by Kexi too.

Feel free to continue this topic at the dedicated forum http://forum.kde.org/kexi.

PS: Please store any wishes at https://bugs.kde.org – this will make difference!

3. KenP says:

Hi, I am an avid follower or progress in Calligra and I find it opens ooxml formats much better than LO.

However, I am curious to know if and when will writing to OOXML formats be supported, i.e. docx, xlsx etc

Thanks.

• boemann says:

Well it’s something we would like for sure, and we have some small ideas of how to get that going. But nothing concrete yet

4. Andre says:

Calligra looks promising. From what I’ve seen it works great, and from what I hear it imports documents beautifully. The only problem I have with it, which is a deal breaker, is that it doesn’t export to the MS Office formats. Has that changed at all since 2.4 or will it not change at all? I wish it could replace Libreoffice.

• Inge Wallin says:

It has not changed for 2.5 but we have nothing fundamentally against exporting to MS formats. It’s just that nobody has started to do it so far.

5. JohanH says:

Calligra looks promising, once you get the logic of the interface it works in an easy way.

What I really miss (unless I haven’t discovered it) is how you can import and/or link components between the different documents. To be concrete f.e. If I make a chart in Sheets I’d like to be to copy it from within Sheets and paste it into Words, Stage,….. and preferably keep the link between the chart in Words and the data in Sheets. Not being able to do that reduces productivity a lot.

One can drag image files from dolphin into Calligra, this works, they paste.

6. Skippy says:

The kexi-project.org website seems to have disappeared. I am just looking to migrate from ms-access to Kexi. The Kexi links on the Calligra site also point to broken web addresses. Hope everything comes on line again soon.

7. Jon says:

I am very much enjoying migrating to Calligra from OOo/LO, but there are still a few bugs here and there. I like it, but it’s still not quite ready for everyone. (Mostly speaking about Sheets, I guess, although I use Karbon quite a bit too.)

8. Stoyan Deckoff says:

Is there an app in caligra that supports and plays well with M$ OneNote. This is the only reason my wife still uses Windows sometimes.

• Inge Wallin says:

The closest would be Braindump but I’m pretty sure that it doesn’t read any external file formats yet.