Calligra 2.6 Release Candidate 1

The Calligra team is proud to announce the first release candidate of the Calligra Suite. Since show stopper bugs were discovered after the tagging we expect one more release candidate before the actual release. Compared to the beta, this new release contains a number of bug fixes.

Try It Out

The source code of this version is available for download here: calligra-2.5.92.tar.bz2. Also many binary packages are available for various operating systems and distributions. This release is packaged for Windows by KO GmbH, and you can find it on their download page.

One of our developers is experimenting with packaging the Calligra Suite for Mac OS X and the final release may have working packages.

About the Calligra Suite

Calligra is a KDE community project. Learn more at http://www.calligra.org/.

This entry was posted in Announcements, Calligra Unstable, News. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Calligra 2.6 Release Candidate 1

1. Rajendra says:

I have two things to say which are fully debatable:
    1. Your announcements lack some type of appeal. It is just afeedback.
    2. It appears to me that the calligra has lost some of the charm.

2. Rajendra says:

What I meant by the loss of charm is the following aspects. I saw a lot of hype before the release of 2.4 but the general comments from some reviews was that it was rough around the edges and some functionality was missing. For 2.6 “week of polish” was arranged and outcome is yet to be seen. I have it installed but I do not use it regularly because interoperability becomes mandatory in my organisation. The whole process of mentoring by seniors comes to a standstill if they can not see the outcomes of the assgnments. Probably time has come to introduce doc/xls/ppt export filters, at least experimental level with warnings/disclaimer, to achieve mass adoption by the desktop (not going to be dead, even surface is creating some hype) users. If you can release separate krita build by observing 15 k downloads, I feel that this time response would be much more encouraging. Currently, for me, it is just a good document viewer. Your export filters will also need few iterations to be optimised.

• Markus S. says:

MS Office can open ODF files. MSO 2013 has full ODF 1.2 compatibility. Writing MSO exporters is a waste of time. Only RTF export is really missing for a few use cases.

• pascal@dhermilly.dk says:

LOL. MSO 2013 was released 3 weeks ago. It probably has less deployment than koffice or abiword.

Not saving as anything else than ODF makes it hard to collaborate with a lot of people. That is something that will keep me from using it as primary office suite.

• Inge Wallin says:

This is true; it is one of our few fundamental weaknesses. We would love to have people help us out with this.

• Markus S. says:

MS Office includes ODF compatibility since MSO 2007. Initially ODF 1.0, later updated via Service Pack to ODF 1.1.
          ODF 1.2 is a relatively new standard which is why only the newest MSO supports it.

RTF makes more sense if one really wants to target old office suites.

3. Rajendra says:

I guess interoperability can be and should be seen in the terms of ground realities. MS XP stilll is the most used Windows version and I guess 2003 MS Office will dominate the adoption. These ODF standards were developed somewhere on the way. One can argue on the usecases but giving flawless performance on simple cases having basic document features should be considered. Version later than 2003 MSO has added more chrome however fundamental editing features remains the same. In my country, we are taught to adapt to senior citizens to take care of them.

• Markus S. says:

Windows 7 is the most used version of Windows, not XP.

• Aman Shah says:

@Markus S.,
        In India,in towns,people still use old desktops.Some have never heard of Windows 7 or Windows 8.And most use duplicate illegal versions of MS Office.Many people in Village district in India haven’t heard about MS One Note.
        Many people in Villages still assume XP as latest.

4. Rajendra says:

Probably you guys know the cost of writing MSO exporters and fine tuning them. I was expecting them by now since you already had good importers (as claimed) since 2.4 release.

5. Nurb 432 says:

Many of us appreciate what you are all doing. Thanks.

6. Alexandre says:

I’m going to wager that it’s still missing export filters for DOC. It’s a major deal breaker for me. Most of the teachers I’ve had won’t accept documents that aren’t in that format. Unfortunately the only code I know is NSIS so I’d be no help in trying to make an import filter.

7. Rajendra says:

I did not wanted to sound disrespectful or thankless. Sorry, if that was the impression casted.

I also appreciate the work of calligra developers and I wanted to put constructive inputs hoping to at least have some discussion and, better still, some consensus. I am a scientist (applied research) and we are always told to think about ground realities and deployability at the time of development itself. I was just putting my version of usecases in the approach of anticipation. This particular feature might lead to generate critical mass of developers also. One can also imagine that as the spread of your tool/software becomes wider you will start getting much higher numbers of bug reports etc.

I am happy to read few comments of validation.