Calligra 2.7 Released

The Calligra team is proud and pleased to announce the release of version 2.7 of the Calligra Suite, Calligra active and the Calligra Office Engine. This version is the result of thousands of commits which provide new features, polishing of the user interaction and bug fixes.

The version number of this release is actually 2.7.1, not 2.7.0 because a serious problem was found after the tagging of 2.7.0. Due to the release process, the team had to withdraw 2.7.0 and instead release 2.7.1 as the first stable version of the 2.7 series.

News in This Release

Calligra 2.7 contains a number of new features. Here is an excerpt of the most important ones.

Words, the word processing application, has a new look for the toolbox. In the same toolbox there are also new controls to manipulate shapes with much enhanced usability.  Styles are now sorted with the used ones first in the style selector which should make using styles much more convenient. There are also enhancements to the reference controls, especially regarding hyperlinks and bookmarks.

Author, the writer’s application, has new support for EPUB3: mathematical formulas and multimedia contents are now exported to ebooks using the EPUB format.  There is also new support for book covers using images.

words-sidebar

The new toolbox for Words, Author, Sheets and Stage inside the sidebar.

There is a new export filter for common text and enhancements to the docx import filter, which can now support predefined table styles. Note that all of these enhancements to Words and Author are also available in the other application. We note here where they were originally developed.

Sheets, the spreadsheet application, now uses the same new toolbox as Calligra Words.

Plan, the project management application, has improvement in the scheduling of tasks and new export filters to OpenDocument Spreadsheet (ODS) and CSV.

Kexi, the visual database creator, improves CSV data import, in particular now it can import data into an existing table. Passwords do not require modal dialogs and are generally better handled. See the full list of changes.

Shapes: There are some improvements in the general shapes available from most Calligra applications: The formula shape now has new ways to enter formula: a matlab/octave mode and a LaTEX mode. The tool for the text shape is improved to better handle text styles.

Another change common to Words, Author and Stage is an improved visual style editor.

shape-controls

The new shape editor, also known as shape control.

Krita, the 2D paint application, has new grayscale masks, a better freehand path tool with line smoothing, a way to paint shapes with Krita brushes, improved color to alpha filter, an improved crop tool and an improved transform tool that helps the user create textures. Support for new file formats include export to QML and a much improved import/export filter for photoshop PSD files. You can read about the improvements in Krita in more details on krita.org.

Try It Out

The source code of the snapshot is available for download: calligra-2.7.1.tar.xz. Alternatively, you can download binaries for many Linux distributions and for Windows.

About the Calligra Suite

The Calligra Suite is part of the applications from the KDE community. See more information at the website http://www.calligra.org/.

This entry was posted in Announcements, Calligra Stable, News. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Calligra 2.7 Released

1. Soul Kim says:

Just installed.
    It looks and feels absolutely awesome.
    I definitely feel the development of CS goes in a right direction.
    Thanks for the work, guys!

2. Fernando Romo says:

Just installed on my linux box: This.is.absolutely.amazing.
    If the team keep polishing the suite, Calligra will not be “an Office Suite for Linux” but “THE Office Suite for Linux”.
    Keep up the good work!

3. Mirek says:

Yes, looks avesome…. and that’s all.
    Completely unusefull.

• Inge Wallin says:

Perhaps you would like to elaborate?

• Tom says:

Why, he’s an user. And negative opinion is still an opinion.

• Inge Wallin says:

Sure, but how can we improve if we don’t know why he thinks it’s not useful?

• Oblivion says:

First, I really appreciate your hard work, but also think that the weakest part of the suite is Words. It is (or seems to be) in an incomplete state, and this is not good given that a word processor is probably the most widely used and advertised part of an office suite?

Some annoying problems I’ve encountered with the Words v2.7 is:

1) Units (and the ruler, of course) always revert to points no matter if I create or save the document in other standards (cm, inch, etc.). And this is not a new problem either. I see this behaviour since v2.4.

2) Style editor is great in itself, but lacks some basic features.
            a) A remove or delete button. Is adding a delete/remove button (and deleting a style) so difficult?
            b) Clean seperation between the default styles and user defined styles.

3) Index/Contents creation is not so good. For example, is there any way to change the color (which is, by default, bule and does not look very nice on academic papers) of the document content/index, and remove those blue dots, or at least change their color?

4) Footnotes: It is hard to seperate them from body text most of the time. A seperator bar/line is needed (MS Word and LO/OO have it). Also, strangely, distance (empty space) between the body text and footnotes does not always seem to be consistent throughout a document.

These may not be big issues, but they do have a negative impact on overall experience. On the other hand, I still do hope that I will some day use Calligra Words as my primary word processor. Keep up the good work!

4. KenP says:

I honestly feel that to be the office suite of choice, Calligra needs an ms office export filter.

Can the one from Libreoffice be used? Just wondering.

I use Calligra to open most of the files but if I have to save it in docx format, for example, I have to open it in libreoffice ….. a waste of space on my laptop to keep 2 office suites installed.

So, is office export filter on the roadmap anywhere?

Thanks.

• slangkamp says:

The LibreOffice filter can’t be used directly. The only way would be a headless LibreOffice that opens the file and exports to docx.

There is an docx export filter in development, but it’s a massive amount of work so that will take some time.

• JJordan says:

Install unoconvert, which is a command line converter using LibreOffice libraries.

Here’s a batch file to give it a GUI face:

#! /bin/bash
        #this line keeps it from breaking on filenames with spaces
        IFS=$'\n'
        fileIn=$(kdialog --getopenfilename . "*.odt";);
        unoconv -f doc $fileIn
        kdialog --msgbox $fileIn" Converted to .doc"
        exit
        </code)

5. Dyrver Eriksson says:

Oh cool, this is so great. Thanks everyone who worked on this suite, it rocks! :D

6. 4ng3l says:

Awesome! You really did a good job, guys. If Calligra had a Zotero plugin, I would forget LibreOffice.

7. Rajendra says:

Probably time has come to look for papercuts. Although I have not used this release per se, feedback suggests that software a matured a lot. Now enhanced attractiveness will cost more in terms of efforts, a standard feature of technology development. Initial phase is desirable by the people involved as attractiveness yield is high for the effort spent. Time for grunt and boring work is about to arrive and we can celebrate it. As software outreach increases you will receive further reports of small annoyances.

A hard look at small annoyances may me attempted. A list of them may be described as junior jobs or may be backed by some sponsors. Maturity of codebase may allow and should attract community participation and growth.

8. Limbert says:

In spanish language?

9. K says:

Thanks for all your effort. Calligra looks better and better and I love how it uses much less memory than LibreOffice.
    I was very impressed by this release and I’m moving closer to ditch LibreOffice for Calligra.
    Still, there are some issues that prevent me to do so, and it would be really nice you if could fix it. First, the already mentionated implementation of .doc/.docx export filter. Second, some look improvements like a small line before the footnotes and indicators for headers and footnotes. Third, compatibility issues: some .odt files created on LibreOffice looked bad on Calligra, like single words that at the end of a line that had one or more of their letters displayed on the line below.
    Looking forward to the next release.
    Cheers.

10. JJordan says:

I like the tabs for the toolbox but they sure take up a lot of horizontal space. Changing them to “icon only” reduces it but having the text is nice. Is it possible to have vertical text, maybe one or two lines with the icon above for each tab? Each tab would have to be a bit taller but there is currently sufficient room (at least on a 1920 x 1080 monitor, which is a good compromise target at the moment). Would also help visually differentiate the tab text from the options in each tool pane.

One other observation; I don’t quite understand the “Add Shape” layout . I have “Artisti”, “text”, and “image” then a button that opens a pallet of additional shapes. I would prefer to just have the pallet always open in that area with the “default” category open by, well, default.

Please keep up the good work! Calligra Office is one of the main reasons I use KDE and while I still have LibreOffice installed for emergencies, Calligra is my goto office suite. Looking forward to the day I can remove LibreOffice.

Regards, j

• boemann says:

The tabs could have a third placement of text like you wish i guess, but vertical text is generally not that friendly. Also it is only useful if you have such a large resolution as you do. The whole reason we changed it is because we want to be usable on at least 768px high displays. We are possibly not there yet.

One other change I have in mid is removing the “Add Shape” and making it a tab as well. That would allow us to save something in the height, as well as do something along the lines of what you suggest. However the top list of Artistic tex, text, image are meant to be a list of most used shapes

11. Rajendra says:

I wanted a good open source alternative for making professional academic layouts for research papers and reports. I tried using Karbon but there were few things I did not like. I would be grateful if someone can consider this usecase.
    Workflow: Import few pdf (sometime tiff) files. Ungroup all the elements. Adjust thickness of lines and plots. Inserting and modifying fonts.
    Unsatisfactory outcomes: Karbon used to generate mirror image of the imported file. Ungrouping of elements were not taking place. Probably I did not understood the location and names of the tool needed.

Kindly let me know if this is not an appropriate place for such discussion.

12. Grzegorz W says:

I think the weakest part is Sheets , and its changelog is usully the smallest one.
    I appraciate detault layout now more resembles spreadsheet application, but there are still lots of issues.
    Most important ones:
    - Grid limitation (espacially rows limitation to 32k) is far too less for any serious application
    - Lack/poor support for cells dragging, and general grid slowness (present since very first versions of Excel 20+ years ago!).
    - Lack of support for cross-workbooks cell references, which is present in MS Office and OO/LO Office as far as I can remember (10, 6 years respectively).
    Of course I’m highly respecfull and appreciate all the work devs and testers put inth the suite, espacially volunteers one.
    Please threat this just like some non offensive suggestions.
    BTW: Most important Office suite apps and functionalities are Word editor and Spreadheet (and Presentation software in little less extent). Other stuff (including painting software) is far far less important. Calligra team should put more effort/focus on polishing this kind of functions/programs.

13. Grzegorz W says:

Oops, grid limitaion to 32k is no longer the case – I did not noticed the change in latest versions, sorry.
    But the 2 remaining points still are.
    In adition lack of export to MS Office formats is also the big issue.