Calligra 2.4 Release Candidate 2

The Calligra team is proud to announce the second release candidate of the Calligra Suite. This is the beginning of the end of a very long journey that started over a year ago and will very soon lead up to the first stable release of Calligra. The watchful reader may notice that there never was a release candidate 1. The reason for that is that the team found some serious errors that had to be fixed.

Name Change

Due to a name clash with another spreadsheet program the application formerly known as Calligra Tables is now called Calligra Sheets.

News in This Release

There is now a hard feature freeze and no more new features are allowed into Calligra. Therefore all changes since the last beta version are bugfixes. The focus of this release has been to continue on improvements of saving and roundtripping and a few crash fixes.

Other than saving, one bad set of issues with inheritance of styles was fixed in this release and of course the usual amount of crashes and normal bugs are fixed. And also as usual the team is grateful for all bug reports in this and other areas.

The mobile user interface Calligra Active is not affected by the freeze and has two new features: Selection and Copy for text and a Custom Slideshow feature. Calligra Active was also featured in an article on Linux Weekly News about mobile versions of free office suites. It’s well worth a read. (For people reading this on February 1st or earlier the article is for subscribers only but it will be made available for the public on February 2nd.)

Try It Out

The source code of this version is available for download here: calligra-2.3.92.tar.bz2. Also many binary packages are available for various operating systems and distributions. This release is packaged for Windows by KO GmbH, and you can find it on their download page.

We would welcome volunteers who want to build the Calligra Suite on OSX.

About the Calligra Suite

Calligra is a KDE community project. Learn more at http://www.calligra.org/.

This entry was posted in Announcements, Calligra Unstable. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Calligra 2.4 Release Candidate 2

1. Visitante says:

Tables, Sheets, Words (what a flagrant and shameless copy of MS Word’s name, BTW)… Since most of the Calligra users, and devs, AFAIK, aren’t american nor english, since this community is a very international one, have you thought about using non national languages’ words for the names? It’d be a sign of respect and internationalism. What about latin names, or greco-latin? A dead language, but present in every major language, even the non european ones, through scientific and technical vocabulary (in the former sentence there are 7 greco-latin rooted words). Calligra sounds «latinish», for example. What about «Calligra Tabulae», «Calligra Parabolae», «Calligra Praesentatio» or something alike? You think using protoindoeuropean roots would be even more «anational»? Or perhaps a mix of dead mother tongues from all around the world? Great! Sure in the translation teams there are people who could suggest a lot of ideas for the names.

Said all that, I have nothing against the tongue of Shakespeare, in fact I like it, but shouldn’t an international and open community try to «scape» as much as possible from cultural colonialisms? Isn’t it enough the fact that we have been forced by our educational systems to learn english instead a really international language like esperanto, interlingua or any other that would have had been successful if it had had half the institutional and economic support english teaching has had?

Think about it, please, well, I think all the FOSS developers’ community should do it.
    And lots of thanks for your work, BTW.

Pax & amor.

• Phaikawl Hai says:

Yep your idea is good, more sense of internationalization is good, but it doesn’t make any real difference or improvement. On the other hand, change names is not an easy, no-brainer thing to do, it only brings trouble, unless we have a good reason to do it.

• Linus says:

English in neither my first nor second language, but since English is sort of the Lingua Franca of the internet, i don’t really see what would be earned by using another name. Most grandma-friendly environments doesn’t translate the names, but puts a label such as “word processor” or “calculator” on most programs, so it wouldn’t really matter to the ones where it could possibly be beneficial.

2. linuxboy says:

In calligra words, line spacing setting has new problems:
    1. When I changed line spacing of the document and appied it, the document would change it’s original formatting, such as the characters would change into italic.
    2. The line spacing still cannot work correctly.

• boemann says:

Please use the bug tracker to report and comment on bugs. That said we are aware of this and working on it, but it will probably not be fixed in the first release

• Kyle says:

This bug makes it impossible to use your program for class purposes. When I attempt to report the bug though Calligra, I am told there is not enough information in my detailed report and that it will not be sent. It’s as though you don’t want to fix this bug.

3. No importa says:

Has been solved that bug that made Calligra fail when being compiled if Tables wasn’t added to the compilation?

4. Takpe says:

Can change the default font to run “Calligra Words”? Thanks!

5. Kamui says:

Is it me or this thing does not work (Windows version). Every program I try to open Stage ,sheets etc my pc tries to load something (I hear the HDD spin) and then nothing happens. Any ideas? Do I missing something?

6. MediasharpDE says:

When will the Release be published? I like Calligra Suite and I would feel crazy if it will be released soon.

7. Oriol says:

I’m a not-too tech-savvy end-user and I don’t have a lot of experience compiling from source. In the past, I had tried KOffice and an early packaged version of Calligra Suite and I found them way too raw and buggy to consider using them regularly. However, yesterday I decided I was going to try to compile 2.3.92 and, after many tries, I finally managed to make it work (on Kubuntu 11.10). And I have to say, I am IMPRESSED. There are a few bugs and missing features here and there, and some of my heavily customized odf and odp files do not appear correctly, but overall I think this is a FANTASTIC piece of software and I am already a convert to Calligra. I look forward to using it as my main office suite and to see it continue to develop and improve. THANK YOU so much to all the developers and contributors. If Conquirere pans out and we manage to write a plug-in to integrate it with Calligra, I will be able to fulfill my dream of doing all my work as an academic on KDE software. Thanks again, congratulations and keep up the good work!!

• the_summer says:

If you use Kubuntu it is not necessary to compile it yourself (you can of yours if you want to 😉 ). Just use the packages provides by project neon which are up to date.
      The link to the guide how to add the repositories is in the “Try it out”-paragraph.

8. the_summer says:

Is it possible to subscribe to your blog via RSS?
    I couldn’t find a button for that.