Calligra 2.9.11 Released

We are pleased to announce availability of the Calligra Suite, and Calligra Active 2.9.11. It is recommended update for the 2.9 series of the applications and underlying development frameworks.

Bug fixes in This Release

You will find most of the improvements in Krita and Kexi. There are several others that may be not mentioned here.

General

• A number of fixes for charts (review 122153).

Kexi

Featured story: A commercially developed upgrade for MS Access (MDB) Import to Kexi has been donated by Jarosław Staniek (wish 277583). This also fixes import of primary keys (bug 336560). Large Access databases such as the Northwind sample now import better than ever.

Other Improvements:

• Main Window:
    • Make Global Search list should wider to fit the names (bug 358203).
    • Make the default “Smallest readable font” used by Kexi in property editor, toolbar, etc.; allow to specify size using points; no longer depend on screen resolution (bug 358662).
  • Tables:
    • Do not switch to Data View if fetching records failed, and show more clear message. This fixes crash at the attempt to create a table row when table is invalid due to use of a reserved word or failed data fetching (bugs 356888 and 357025). The same category of errors are now also fixed for queries, forms, reports, and CSV export.
    • Fix alignment of table view combo boxes when rows or columns are scrolled (bug 357655).
    • Make combo box popups for tabular view fit in the current screen (bug 357682).
  • Queries:
    • Switching off the visibility of query fields no longer hides data in the last field. This is a fix for SQLite, MySQL, PostreSQL, Sybase/MSSQL (bug 346839).
    • Fix possible crash due to missing removal of cached field information.
    • Support queries having the same field name used in multiple tables (bug 340056).
    • Make "Save button" enabled when going from SQL view to Data and back to SQL (bug 278379).
    • Fix: Changes in query design not retained after changes in SQL view and switching to Data view (bug 358413).
    • Make <SELECT “a” + “b”> SQL queries work; also for convenience if either argument is of text type, operator “+” is now assumed to be identical to operator “||”; also fix <SELECT “a” || “b”> for MySQL using CONCAT() (bug 358636).
    • Better check result of parsing SQL statements.
    • Make query parameters also work in COLUMNS section, e.g. <SELECT [Param]> works now (bug 348473).
    • Fix switching to Data View when using table aliases (bug 278414).

• Forms:
    • Add sorting to Forms. Current record is unchanged but its index most likely changes, what can be observed in the record navigator (bug 150372).

• Reports:
    • Fix retrieval of aggregate report values for queries: fix possible crash when changing data source, support tables and queries having the same names, better recognize if report was modified (reviews D764 and D765).
    • Fix handling latitude property for scripting in Report Map element.
    • Fix possible memory leaks (review D780).
    • Allow jump to report page (bug 357217).

Krita

• Fix a memory leak when images are copied to the cliboard
  • Ask the user to wait or break off a long-running operation before saving a document
  • Update to G’Mic 1.6.9-pre
  • Fix rendering of layer styles
  • Fix a possible issue when loading files with clone layers
  • Do not crash if there are monitors with negative numbers
  • Make sure the crop tool always uses the correct image size
  • Fix a crash on closing images while a long-running operation is still working
  • Link to the right JPEG library
  • Fix the application icon
  • Fix switching colors with X after using V to temporarily enable the line tool
  • Fix the unreadable close button on the splash screen when using a light theme
  • Fix the Pencil 2B preset
  • Fix the 16f grayscale colorspace to use the right channel positions
  • Add shortcuts to lower/raise the current layer

Calligra Sheets

• Fix calculation of WEEKSINYEAR() function, December 31 should not belong to first week of next year.

Extras

• Fix Table of Contents generation for Okular ODT generator.

Try It Out

Download small

The source code of the release is available for download here: calligra-2.9.11.tar.xz.
Also translations to many languages and MD5 sums.
Alternatively, you can download binaries for many Linux distributions and for Windows (users: feel free to update that page).

What’s Next and How to Help?

The next step after the 2.9 series is Calligra 3.0 which will be based on new technologies. We expect it later in 2016.

You can meet us to share your thoughts or offer your support on general Calligra forums or dedicated to Kexi or Krita. Many improvements are only possible thanks to the fact that we’re working together within the awesome community.

(Some Calligra apps need new maintainers, you can become one, it’s fun!)

How and Why to Support Calligra?

Calligra apps may be totally free, but their development is costly. Power, hardware, office space, internet access, travelling for meetings – everything costs. Direct donation is the easiest and fastest way to efficiently support your favourite applications. Everyone, regardless of any degree of involvement can do so. You can choose to:
Heart

Support entire Calligra indirectly by donating to KDE, the parent organization and community of Calligra: http://www.kde.org/community/donations.

Heart

Support Krita directly by donating to the Krita Foundation, to support Krita development in general or development of a specific feature: https://krita.org/support-us/donations.

Heart

Support Kexi directly by donating to its current BountySource fundraiser, supporting development of a specific feature, or the team in general: https://www.bountysource.com/teams/kexi.

About the Calligra Suite

Calligra Suite is a graphic art and office suite developed by the KDE community. It is available for desktop PCs, tablet computers and smartphones. It contains applications for word processing, spreadsheets, presentation, databases, vector graphics and digital painting. For more information visit calligra.org.

About KDE

KDE is an international technology team that creates free and open source software for desktop and portable computing. Among KDE’s products are a modern desktop system for Linux and UNIX platforms, comprehensive office productivity and groupware suites and hundreds of software titles in many categories including Internet, multimedia, entertainment, education, graphics and software development. KDE’s software available in more than 60 languages on Linux, BSD, Solaris, Windows and Mac OS X.
This entry was posted in Announcements, Calligra Stable, News. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Calligra 2.9.11 Released

1. Nerete says:

Is it possible to donate directly to Calligra components other than Krita or Kexi?

2. Andrés says:

A couple of questions:

The corrector in Words is rather poor as it only verifies pure spelling, so, if you write correct words but there’s a total misuse of grammar the speel checker will say everything is correct. In “El gatas blancos”, “Das weiss Katzen”, “Lo gatte bianco” (put among those simple examples whatever language with similarly precise grammar you prefer) everything but orthography is wrong; in english “The white cat/cats” would fit for every possible combination of genders and numbers in other languages, but english language isn’t either free of these problems, “The white cats is sleep” would also be passed as correct despite it’s grammatically disastrous.
    Do you plan to improve this? There are already FLOS solutions, like LanguageTool ( https://languagetool.org/ ), and probably more, and who knows if better, I just know of LT; Libreoffice even has a plugin ( http://extensions.libreoffice.org/extension-center/languagetool ). Unfortunately if you want to install as your desktop environment default corrector you need to install Java, but being it libre software, couldn’t you improve Calligra’s checker taking the necessary code from LT (or any other similar software, as I say, I just know of LT) and introduce it into Calligra’s, or at least write a sort of extension, as LO has done?

My second question: You didn’t answered the former poster’s question: is it possible, or is going to be soon, to donate direcly to Calligra, and I’d say more, to donate directly for an individual component of the suite, for example, Words (even if just to change its name, that is a shameful copy of Microsoft’s product’s, lol)? I love KDE and I’ve donated to it, but if I think that a project I like need special “care” and I want my money to be 100% for said project, I’m not going to donate, again, to a very general and broad project that will divide my money between a lot of projects, many of which I can have no interest at all. So, please, as it seems it is not possible by now, do you plan to add a way to donate ONLY to Calligra or, a I said, even better, only to Worlds?

BR.

3. Phidux Jordz says:

I want to know if there is a way to take off the sidebar in the spreadsheet like putting back those tools into the topbar (like the way it is in libreoffice). In my observation the topbar is half empty and yet there is this sidebar which is also half empty hence space is not efficiently utilized. Unlike word, a spreadsheet is intended to spread wide so you can see your data columns far to the right without having to scroll sideways excessively every now and then. So this sidebar thing annoyingly cuts my spreadsheet (my monitor is set to its native 16:10 resolution) that even if the sidebar is minimized, it still takes away around two inches of the display width and by then the tools inside it are already cuttoff too so that it wouldn’t make much more sense having it around.

By the way is Calligra 2.9.11 the last or is there 2.9.12 coming soon(seems your schedule for 2.9.12 needs revision) ?

• Jarosław Staniek says:

The GUI could be made more stretchable indeed. However the current trend has been started long ago by vendors of 16×9 displays. There’s no longer place on the top. I am personally looking at ways to redesign Kexi in this direction. Maybe maximizing the window can help a bit.

4. Anonymous says:

What is with Krita 2.9 with Windows XP, MacOSX Tiger, MacOSX Snow Leopard, Linux?

5. Sara says:

Are there any news about Calligra’s development?
    Calligra 3.0 Alpha has been a great advance over 2.9.x and nobody wants to go back to 2.x versions, but it was published in last october. Has the development been stopped? One would expect a stable version, or at least a beta in these 9 long months. Is the project still active? The release plan info page doesn’t get an uptade since february of 2015, and the questions I have seen in KDE’s forum related to Calligra, aren’t even answered except a significative minority of them, like if nobody were taking care of Calligra anymore.
    The Alpha version has been refreshing new air: finally font rendering is correct, styles editor work, compatibility with Libre Office ODT is still bad with complex documents but almost correct with more common text only ones, apps don’t crash every now and then like in version 2.9. Well, this 3.0 Alpha version seems greatly promising and has made many users recover our faith in Calligra as a serious alternative to Libre Office, so I’m sure many of us were expecting the final 3.0 version to see much more improvements and fixes, but then Callibra project seems like a desert… I heratly hope the project is still alive, but nothing indicates it is so… Can somebody provide any info about this?

Thanks.

• Jarosław Staniek says:

Calligra is in development although it’s not as sufficiently funded as it would deserve. In particular contributors apparently cannot afford spending time also on calligra.org posts. Of forums. Help is welcome here – we’re all together. calligra.org is mostly for announcements and top-level messages like that. There are other forms of contact: https://community.kde.org/Calligra/Contact, the most close to developers is the mailing list.

6. timofonic says:

Why not merge common efforts with LibreOffice? They aren’t the enemy, both Gnome and KDE related projects should learn that and colaborate on bigger common goals.

That’s why you are underfunded, because you only want your *OWN* cathedral with your *OWN* set of APIs (kde and Qt ones).

This is a very promising project with concepts and features better than LibreOffice, but poisoned to death because inproper management to get better funding.

KDE are the kings of vaporware and stuff that never ships: Lots of code for nothing!
    Gnome ship, but they ship crap.

What will FOSS ecosystem is going to to so solve this stupid situation?

Kind regards.

• Jarosław Staniek says:

First, I am very happy that I take more than I put. Don’t you?

Then, above I read lots of contradictions and simple misunderstanding painted with radical words. 1. LibreOffice is not a GNOME project. 2. Calligra is not “KDE related”, it’s a project _by_ KDE, KDE == people and organizations. You can run it on a phone or vacuum cleaner if you build it for it. 3. We’re bazaar, not cathedral; “discontinuing LibreOffice to get advantage of Calligra modernization” — what you more or less propose — that would be the cathedral approach. 4. KDE people ships regularly, Calligra ships regularly; vaporware is about announcing and nor releasing. GNOME ships too. 5. KDE people ships more than the user has paid for and more freedoms that many can understand. That’s not the vaporware term. 6. Neither GNOME ships “crap” nor ships especially less regularly. Check the frequency of GNOME Office releases. 7. “What will FOSS ecosystem is going to to so solve this stupid situation?” By talking here you’re part of the ecosystem so you’re clearly entitled to find answers and communicate them in a way others actually want to listen and understand 🙂

• eemantsal says:

I like Calligra precisely because is lighter than LibreOffice and I don’t need all the components of an office suite, so I can just install what I want and forget the rest. LibreOffice installs everything, when you select just a couple of conponets you get everything installed equally, you just only get rid of the especific interfaces and some other few thing, but even if you only want Writer, you will get 300+ MB of libraries, and stuff you won’t ever use. I also love Calligra’s integration with KDE, love KIO, love to be able to mount my external drives from the KDE file picker, love to have mi cloud storage just at a couple of clicks, things that I hate I can’t do when using bad integrated apps.
      If C would merge with LO they both would “engender” another heavy and badly integrated monster, and even worse: a GTK monster. D-8=

But I agree with you that collaboration and probably sharing of code/techniques/whatever with LO project should be better. For example, is rather annoying that many files created in LO can’t be correctly opened in Calligra or at all, when they are supposed to use te same standards. That’s absurd.

• Jarosław Staniek says:

Rather than absurd that’s missing thousands of hours of testing of the files. In the past Nokia have put this amount of work into testing. Paper standards end up on paper without these contributions. Be it ODF or HTML.

7. DT says:

You would likely get increased donations by making your software more accessible to Windows users in general. I would luv to give the Calligra office suite a real trial workout on the Windows format but the installation process is so convoluted as to discourage anyone without a computer science degree. Could you possibly release a more user friendly Windows version? While you’re at it a “usb / potable” version would a real plus, in fact that would be better that a regular install version for testing purposes.

8. eemantsal says:

I’m not sure if I should post this here, but in forum.kde.org people seems not to have much idea -I guess none of them really uses Calligra for real work-, so, please, could some real user or developer solve these couple of doubts?

1. How can I see two pages together one beside the other? In the menu “View”, where I think such option would fit well, there are zoom controls but only affect to a single page view. Is this feature in other place or it just doesn’t exist?

2. How can I set to which paragraph anchor an image so if the paragraph moves into the page, or to another page, the image moves with it? Right clicking and choosing “Shape properties” opens a menu to choose anchorage settings, but once I choose “Floating but anchored to a paragraph”, or any other option, I accept, and then I’m presented back the pop up menu that offers “Shape properties”; if I ignore it and click outside to make it disappear, nothing has changed, the image keeps “free” and if I hit carriage return so the paragraph is moved down, the image doesn’t move and makes the text wrap around it so it destroys all the page layout.

BTW, there isn’t there any manual for Calligra out there, right?

Thanks.

• Jarosław Staniek says:

Help requests can go to forum http://forum.kde.org/calligra please. Other ways: https://community.kde.org/Calligra/Contact. Comments here relate to the releases.

• eemantsal says:

Thank you, Jaroslaw. You have posted the same link twice, hehe, but thanks anyway. 🙂

I tried the forum, but as I told you, no notice; and I get the impression that I’m not the only who asks and doesn’t get a response or at least a well informed one.
        I don’t have much time, espcially not very regularly. Do you think joining a mail list is a good idea? I’d like also to contribute testing and reporting but I dont think I can promise all the attention a mail list usually needs. :-/ What would you advice to someone with good will but scarce, and specially very irregular, free time (I can have 3 or 4 days with a couple hours free but then I can be one month or two without enough free time).

Regards

• Jarosław Staniek says:

Fixed, sorry 🙂

Mailing list, espcially calligra-devel increases your chance – direct contact with developers 🙂

I am responding more regularly on the Kexi forum https://forum.kde.org/kexi. If you’re interested in testing this kind of app, no question is left unanswered 🙂

• eemantsal says:

Thanks. I think I’ll join the mail list.
            I know nothing about databases, sorry. I’ll try to contribute to Stage and Words.

Best regards.

9. seba says:

hola, ¿es posible instalar Calligra en windows 10?