We are happy to announce the release of final version 2.9 of the Calligra Suite, Calligra Active and the Calligra Office Engine. This version is the result of thousands of changes which provide new features, polishing of the user experience and bug fixes.
What’s in the Box?
The 2.9 release is so far the biggest release for Krita, the award-winning free and open source digital painting application. Eleven out of twelve of the features were requested by users and funded by Krita’s first Kickstarter action and the twelfth feature will come in 2.9.1!
- Support for loading and showing multiple images in one window, and viewing any given image in multiple views and windows.
- Fully integrated the G’Mic set of image manipulation tools, enabling artists to, for instance, greatly speed-up their workflow.
- Greatly extended support for painting in HDR mode, making it a truly creative tool.
- New perspective painting assistants to new color selectors, improved transform tools and non-destructive transformation masks, brush engine improvements, workflow improvements, new filters, support for creating and installing resource packs (brushes, gradients, patterns) and many more.
- More details on krita.org
The debut of Calligra Gemini, a novel mix of a traditional desktop app and a touch-friendly tablet app.
It encases Calligra’s word processor and presentation apps. (details)
Kexi, visual data-oriented apps builder received over 150 improvements that make it extra stable and easy to use.
- Newer technologies have been employed for the tabular (data grid) views and forms.
- Report Designer, Query Designer and data import assistants have improved substantially. (details)
- All that is spiced with a dedicated support for KDE Plasma 5’s look and feel.
- At the organizational level Kexi gained a corporate partner, Milo Solutions (details)
The 2.9 release already contains contributions from Milo software engineer, Roman Shtemberko. (read Roman’s experience)
Unmatched integration: Displaying office documents in Okular, KDE’s universal document viewer. For displaying many types of documents Calligra Office Engine has been used, the same that forms a pillar of document viewers on Nokia N9 and Jolla smartphones, COffice Android app and more. (details)
Try It Out
Also translations to many languages and MD5 sums.
Alternatively, you can download binaries for many Linux distributions and for Windows.
What’s Next and How to Help?
We have approached the era of 2.9. The next step, Calligra 3.0, will be based on new technologies. Expect it later in 2015.
You can meet us to share your thoughts or offer your support on general Calligra forums or dedicated to Kexi or Krita. Many improvements are only possible thanks to the fact that we’re working together within the awesome community.
How and Why to Support Calligra?
Calligra apps may be totally free, but their development is costly. Power, hardware, office space, internet access, traveling for meetings – everything costs. Direct donation is the easiest and fastest way to efficiently support your favourite applications. Everyone, regardless of any degree of involvement can do so. You can choose to:
About the Calligra Suite